ATTENTION: Visitors looking for the Royal Eagle restaurant website, click here

20090526

Russian Orthodox Church Seeks Control Of Kaliningrad's Protestant Cathedral

If I were Protestant, I might be annoyed by this. But I'm not, so.... I'm not.

KALININGRAD, Russia -- A centuries-old Protestant cathedral in Russia's Kaliningrad might be taken over by the Russian Orthodox Church, RFE/RL's Russian Service reports.

The church was built in the 14th century by Catholics, though it later became a Protestant church.

The philosopher Immanuel Kant was buried near it in the early 1800s.

The church was destroyed by Britain's Air Force during World War II, but in 1992 activists began restoring the building and founded the Kant Institute, a research center. Europe's largest pipe organ is housed there.

But the Russian Orthodox Church has announced it will take the cathedral under it control.


Read the rest here.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Why?

Matt said...

Why what?

Mike said...

Why are they taking over the church?

Matt said...

I'm not sure. I would imagine it's to provide Christians with another place to worship.