ATTENTION: Visitors looking for the Royal Eagle restaurant website, click here

20100426

Vank Cathedral

While we're on the topic of Armenians...
I was conducting research for one of my classes this week when I came across something very interesting. In the early seventeenth century, during the reign of Shah Abbas I of the Persian Safavid dynasty, a number of Armenian Christians settled in his capital city of Isfahan. There they built a church, which they completed in 1664. When I saw pictures of it, my jaw nearly hit the floor.

Before we get to the pics, let me just say that I am all for the construction of church buildings in a style consistent with the local culture. By that I do not mean local "pop culture." I mean architecture according to the established norms. I think that can be done without sacrificing important ancient liturgical elements or forsaking whatever it is that allows a proper expression of worship. Building in a style consistent with local heritage speaks to the populace in an architecural language they can understand. It makes that church a part of the enduring cultural legacy of the place, rather than just a visitor from the outside. I think, in other words, that it makes more sense to build a church in China that looks like this, rather than like this. But that's just me.

(Wanna see how this works here at home? Compare the Roman Catholic Baltimore Basilica--built in a neoclassical style that was consistent with a popular architectural style of the period in which it was built, but is enduring and relevant [sorry!] today--with the Cathedral of Our Lady of Angels in Los Angeles, which is...just...awful).

Whoever built Vank Cathedral in Isfahan certainly had an eye for Persian architecture and design. My guess is that they hired local artisans and builders, who applied the styles with which they were familiar.
As you look at these pictures, keep in mind that this is not a mosque, it is a Christian church.
(Click on the pictures for a better view)



2 comments:

ma o' maw said...

IN-CRED-I-BLE!!! I think I would drop to my knees and cry for the beauty, majesty and God-given creativity and skill, if I walked into a church like Vank ... WOW! On the other hand, that 'church' in LA is A-BOM-IN-ABLE!! I might cry there too, but for totally different reasons! You have to wonder, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING????

GLMcC said...

Wow !!! Amazing !! ...and well written intro to the pictures.