ATTENTION: Visitors looking for the Royal Eagle restaurant website, click here

20090227

New Orthodox Church in America head faces need for change

From Ekklesia (emphasis added):

The new head of the Orthodox Church in America, which is trying to shake off years of internal problems and financial scandals, says he "laughs off" any comparison made between himself and US President Barack Obama as a reformer and agent of change.

"I don't see myself as anything so radical," Metropolitan Jonah said in a recent interview with Ecumenical News International, following his 28 December installation as prelate of the Syosset, New York-based church.

"Very honestly, I put little time in thinking about myself," Jonah said. "I see my ultimate task as not discerning my vision, but discerning what is God's will for the church."

...goals include making the OCA a far more visible presence within the United States, though [sic] more vigorous missionary work. Jonah notes that already 60 percent of some one million OCA laity, 70 percent of its clergy and 90 percent of its bishops are, like Jonah, converts from other denominational traditions.

No comments: