ATTENTION: Visitors looking for the Royal Eagle restaurant website, click here

20090215

Sunday of the Prodigal Son

What great blessings have I forsaken, wretch that I am?
From what kingdom have I miserably fallen?
I have squandered the riches that were given me;
I have transgressed the commandments!
Woe to me when I shall be condemned to eternal fire!
Cry out to Christ, O my soul, before the end draws near:
Receive me as the Prodigal, O God, and have mercy on me!

I hid my face in shame, a wretched man!
I have squandered the riches my father gave to me;
I went to live with senseless beasts:
I sought their food and hungered, for I had not enough to eat.
I will arise, I will return to my compassionate father:
He will accept my tears as I kneel before Him crying:
In Your tender love for all men reveive me as one of Your servants
And save me!

Jesus my God, accept me also now in repentance as You did the Prodigal Son:
I have lived all my life in carelessness and provoked You to anger.
I have sinfully wasted the divine wealth that once You gave me;
I have departed far from You and lived as the Prodigal.
Compassionate Father, accept me now also as I return.
Open Your arms to embrace me as a Father now,
accepting me also as the Prodigal Son,
That I may glorify You with thanksgiving most merciful Lord!


(The four Sundays prior to Great Lent are geared toward putting Christians into a mindset of penitence and humility. The themes of each of these days are: Zacchaeus (Lk 19.1-10), the Publican and the Pharisee (Lk 18.9-14), the Prodigal Son (Lk 15.11-32), and the Last Judgement (Rev 20.12–15). Today, in addition to being the Feast of the Entry of our Lord in the Temple, is also the Sunday of the Prodigal Son. The above text is taken from the Vespers service for today.)

No comments: