ATTENTION: Visitors looking for the Royal Eagle restaurant website, click here

20090111

Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy

I cannot recommend this highly enough.
It is a series of lectures given recently by Father Andrew Damick of St George Cathedral in Charleston, WV on the many differences (and a few similarities) between Orthodox Christianity and the many other religions--Christian and otherwise--that are out there.

It is a fascinating and thorough and fair examination of the history and core beliefs of these religions and I strongly suggest that you take the time to listen.

Clicking on each title below will link directly to the audio file. They take a little while to download (each lecture is over an hour long), but, believe me, it's worth it.


Lecture 1: Heterodoxy & Heresy (series introduction)

Lecture 2: Roman Catholicism

Lecture 3: Churches of the Classical Reformation (Lutherans, Calvinists, Reformed, Zwinglians, Anglicans, Episcopalians, Methodists, Wesleyans)

Lecture 4: Churches of the Radical Reformation (Anabaptists, Baptists, Brethren, Amish, Mennonites, Restorationists, Adventists)

Lecture 5: Modern Revivalism (Pentecostalism, Charismatics, Evangelicalism)

Lecture 6: Non-Christian Religions (Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shinto, Sikhism, Wicca, Neo-paganism, Zoroastrianism, Modern Gnosticism, Animism)

Lecture 7: Non-Mainstream Christians (Swedenborgians, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Unitarian Universalists, Christadelphians, Christian Science, Unification Church ("Moonies"); also includes series conclusions)


From Christ in the Mountains by Fr. Andrew Damick

15 comments:

Matt said...

I emailed Fr Damick and he sent me copies of his notes. I'll forward them to whoever's interested.

Anonymous said...

I've listened to the first three ... really good, and very interesting. I would like to see his notes. Looking forward to hearing the rest ... just finished lunch, so will begin the "Radical Reformation".

Anonymous said...

Did you have a problem with the final two lectures? both stopped just past 1/2 way through. Bummer!! couldn't get them to start up again.
I have really enjoyed all the lectures, but I think the one on Modern Revivalism was the most pertinent. (Does Fr. Damick sound like Neil Cavuto to you? He does to me.)

Matt said...

I had no problem with them; maybe you can try downloading them again.
Did you get a chance to take a look at the notes?

(He does sound a little like N.C. without the NY accent.)

Fr. Andrew said...

Thanks for the plug!

By the way, anyone needing the notes should email me directly, since I occasionally make minor updates.

Matt said...

I will be sure to pass that along, Father.

Thanks for stopping by!

Matt said...

All,
Disregard my first comment.

Anyone wishing to view Fr. Damick's notes may contact him through his website:
Christ in the Mountains

Fr. Andrew said...

Update as of October 2009: This series is being updated and re-recorded for broadcast via Ancient Faith Radio. Watch for it there, starting October 4th!

Matt said...

Thank you for the update, Father. I look forward to hearing the re-recorded series!

Fr. Andrew said...

This post is (in Internet terms) ancient history now, I know, but I thought some might be interested that Conciliar Press is due to release the Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy book in May 2011.

Wynter said...

Hi, Matt! In case you didn't see it, Fr. Andrew is looking for the audio for the 7th lecture -- I see you mentioned having downloaded it at one point. If there's any chance you still have it, I know he'd love to hear from you via any social media platform!

Fr. Andrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fr. Andrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fr. Andrew said...

Thanks, but it's #7 of the CITM podcast I'm looking for, not O&H. :)

Wynter said...

Bummer! I thought I might have struck gold on this one!